As an investor, you have the option to invest in the mutual fund either using the lump-sum option or the more flexible systematic investment plan, also known as SIP option. You can purchase mutual fund units by adopting any one of the following methods:
- Buy Mutual Fund Units through an Asset Management Company (AMC)
Mutual funds investment can be completed directly online or offline viathe AMC website. To invest via AMC, do the following steps:
- Open a new account
- Provide personal details for required for mutual fund investment
- Fillinthe Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) form
- Provide your bank details
- Upload a cancelled cheque
- Verify your KYC details through Aadhar
- Transfer money
The offline investment can be done by visiting the AMC office, submitting KYC documents and applicationform, and finally making the payment.
- Invest in Mutual Funds using an Online Investment Platform
You can invest in mutual funds using an online investment platform in a hassle-free manner. This platform is single account access that helps with investments, tracking and managing all your mutual fund investments with numerous AMCs.
The steps required to invest in mutual funds online using an online investment platform are:
- Create an account with a particular investment platform
- Select the desired mutual fund scheme or plan
- Choose the payment type (either SIP or lump-sum) and the investment amount
- Fill in your personal details such as PAN and bank details
- Transfer money online to complete the investment
- Investing in Mutual Funds through a DEMAT Account
If you already have a DEMAT account, you do not need to make any extra efforts to invest in mutual funds. You can use your existing DEMAT account and bank account to invest and make transactions in the mutual fund.
All you need to do is log-in to your DEMAT account and search for the option to invest in mutual funds. Further, choose the fund you wish to invest in. Complete the investment by transferring the amount online.
- Invest in Mutual Funds through Computer Age Management Services (CAMS) and Karvy
Karvy and CAMS are leading Registrar and Transfer Agent companies that provide services to individuals on behalf of mutual fund houses.You can invest via the online or offline method through these registrars.
For Online Method: You need to visit the website of Karvy or CAMS, create an account, giveyour folio number, select the mutual fund scheme and make payment.
For Offline Method: You can invest by visiting the office and completing the application form, handing over a copy of KYC documents and a cancelled cheque.
- Purchase through an Agent
This method is usually not recommended as it is a costly and time-consuming method. Over here, the investment can be made through an agent by;
- Calling your agent who is a mutual fund distributor
- Handing over a filled-in application form along with a copy of all the KYC documents and cancelled cheque.
Irrespective of the way you choose to invest in mutual funds,be assured that you will not miss the benefits of mutual funds. The type of mutual fund you decide to invest in – be it equity funds, debt funds or hybrid funds should align with your financial goals, investment tenure and risk profile. Happy investing!